Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9 - Day 7


Here I am seven days into my journey at Shad UNB which also happens to be day two of an unforgettable camping adventure, an adventure I can only try to describe, so here goes….

After a night of camping we got up, packed our stuff and took down our tents. Shortly after roasting some rice krispie squares on the open camp fire, we took off across the road to the stables of Broadleaf ranch and prepared for horseback riding. Nervousness, excitement, and so many more emotions were flying through the air as those of us who never rode before jumped on the saddle and took a thirty minute trail ride, something I know I will remember forever.

A visit to Hopewell rocks in the pouring down rain only proved how dedicated our Shads are as we enjoyed the scenery and went up to our knees in mud taking samples of corophium (mud shrimp). This was an amazing learning experience and even with all the challenges I have faced and conquered, I’m loving every minute of it.

Kalene Francisca Hines, Shad Valley University of New Brunswick 2011
Hometown: Guysborough, NS