Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11 - Day 9

The day started out as any other: my roommate and I fumbling around the room half awake, trying to get dressed, and bounding down five flights of stairs. We then rushed off to a scrumptious breakfast where our co-directors briefed us on the itinerary for the day, which was spotted by outbursts of puns and songs.

For a quarter of the Shads, today wasn't just any Shadtastic day. It was a day where those adept in chemistry, physics, and math were whisked away to Xerox's research and development facility located in Mississauga.

As we unloaded the two vans, I changed from my comfy runners into sleek black business heels. Before us stood a massive brown building with epic fountains cascading all along the front. Just as the heat and humidity was creeping into my curls and unraveling them, we stepped into the question-marked shaped (and thankfully air conditioned) Xerox building.

Upon receiving custom-made, pre-printed nametags that beheld all I've heard about Xerox's printing services, we entered the Nexus Room. It was a well-lit, professional meeting room, as if straight from Wall Street. It was complete with its own three flat-screen TV's to view documents, all mounted in front of a U-shaped table. From there, my enriching and surprising experience began.

Though the majority of the day was focused around chemists who explained how different toners and ink are created, and passionate physicists who manufacture photoreceptors, I was pleased to see that Xerox also educated us on what different business and environmental aspects they have to consider before funding a project.

All in all, the tour of million-dollar equipment, demonstrations, labs, and the playful creation of "Shad Valley Chemicals, Inc." was memorable. But I think the most valuable advice I received today was from researcher Jordan Wosnick who said that to work in the crucial field of developing science, you have to be patient, but impatient at the same time. He then explained that one must be able to conduct multiple experiments without becoming too frustrated, but still be excited enough to have the motivation to finish the project and get those results!

Today I ventured into the new world of research, development, and business, and was enthralled by all the knowledge I had the opportunity to collect. And, I can't wait for tomorrow!

Dayah Johal, Shad McMaster University 2011
Hometown: Richmond, BC