Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 5 - Day 3

I’ve been to lots of summer camps and different types of programs. It’s only the second full day of Shad Valley Waterloo 2011, and this is already the most fun I’ve ever had at anything like this! Everybody here is so amazingly gifted and talented, and it’s such an honor to be immersed in this kind of genius all day, every day. Conrad Grebel University College, which is where we sleep and eat, is amazing! The home-cooked food is fantastic, including the vegetarian options and my roommate AND room are great!

So today and yesterday, we’ve been in Designer Boot Camp. We’ve had several lectures/seminars/workshops focused on getting from a complex problem all the way down to a solution. There are so many more steps than I thought, and so far this information has been absolutely fascinating and useful. Also today, we had Music Night-we had to split into groups and come up with a musical presentation. The mix of musicians and, well…non-musicians provided some great entertainment. My group’s sing-along rendition of Twinkle Twinkle definitely stole the show. I loved hearing everyone’s unique gifts that they were brave enough to share with us.

If you are a student reading this and considering applying for the program (that’s what I did), DO IT. I can already tell that it is going to be a life-changing experience, and I’m so excited to see what the rest of the month brings.

Bethany Dickey, Shad Valley University of Waterloo 2011
Hometown: Dartmouth, NS