Friday, July 22, 2011

July 22 - Day 20

The big Shad project is over. My mind can hardly register this thought; half of me feels immense relief, while the other half cannot help but experience a sensation of impending doom. After all, with only a week left, it is the beginning of the end.

My day started off bright and early at 5:30am, when I forced myself off my bed and into the lobby of McNeill Hall to put the finishing touches on (aka begin) my group’s business plan. After a rushed breakfast, we all headed to the Integrated Learning Centre for our final project time. Although tensions ran high and cups of coffee were continuously drained, all groups managed to finish in time and deliver absolutely amazing presentations. All the prototypes were so innovating and groundbreaking that every group deserved an investment.

The group dinner afterwards was definitely one of the many high points of the day. Each project group was given a reservation for a different restaurant in downtown Kingston; my group went to The Silver Wok, where we had delicious Chinese food and started up a casual academic conversation with the waiter.

Afterwards, we came back to lovely air-conditioned Chernoff Hall to play Cranium. All the activities were engaging and marked by laughter, even though the PA’s were disappointed in our very limited music library.

So, after all is said and done, I am left only with sweet relief, and the determination to live out my last week at Shad as fully as possible.

Grace Zhang, Shad Valley Queen's 2011
Hometown: Ottawa, ON