Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 10 - Day 8

To start off another incredible day at Shad Valley Dalhousie, the other Shads and I were delighted to be able to sleep in later than usual, especially following our long hike on Cape Split to the Bay of Fundy yesterday. At 11am, I met with my house project group. After an hour of seemingly getting nowhere with an idea for our product, we finally agreed on an idea! There was great excitement about our progress.

At 1:30pm, the Shads gathered together and we were divided into groups of 5 for an Engineering Challenge. Our goal was to create a device using a mousetrap that would launch a ball and knock over 10 bowling pins. My group, the “M&M Meat Launchers, tied for 1st place!

Next, it was time for me to present my “ShadSpeak”. I spoke to my fellow shads about my passion for songwriting, and performed one of my original songs. I was amazed at the reception I received from the other Shads. As the first week comes to a close, I can say with certainty that this experience has already stretched my limits and changed many of my perspectives, and I know it has much more in store.

Jacqueline Pitre, Shad Valley Dalhousie University 2011
Hometown: Burlington, Ontario