Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20 - Day 18

Today, I slept in until 7:30am.

The accumulated sleep deprivation of 17 long days really leaves an impact, such that my body decided to ignore the blasting sounds of the radio in favour of another precious hour of sleep. It really shows how strenuous a day at Shad can be. Today was no exception.

Our usual morning lectures were replaced by a Math Scavenger Hunt. It lasted for about 2 hours, during which my team was misled several times around the campus. It was a tiring but nonetheless fun activity. After lunch, I headed to an eye-opening Seminar about ethical issues regarding genetics. Our evening lecture discussed making plans to achieve a goal.

The impending deadline of our House project is never far from our minds. We went shopping for supplies, and I realized how helpless I was at a store. In addition to not being able to find many of the things I needed, I was reminded of some things I had forgotten to buy. It is a lesson on responsibility; Shad teaches you many lessons like that.

I’ve always wondered why Shad is a valley. Maybe it’s because once you get in, it’s hard to get out.

Fred Zhu, Shad Memorial University of Newfoundland 2011
Hometown: Surrey, BC