Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26 - Day 24

Wow. What an amazing day.

Today was phenomenal in so many ways. First off, it was a special day for me because it was my 17th birthday. Second, today was the day we decided which CT Project to send to Shad Cup on behalf of UNB. Finally, today was the day of the UNB Shad's personal celebration banquet.

The morning started out rather busy. We were all scrambling to get organized as there were so many things to do! We had to begin planning for Open Day, the monthbook was announced to be due Wednesday morning, we had to prepare presentation boards for our CT Projects - we had much to get done and very little time to do them. I was working to get the monthbook pages assigned to different people, as well as begin designing my own, so it was rather hectic.

After lunch at the McConnell dining hall, we had time to work on our Rube Goldberg projects. My group worked very hard to think of innovative ways to use the 6 simple machines, but we still have much to do, and the contest is tomorrow!

Later, the most exciting part of the day (in my opinion) came. We set up our CT presentation boards in the DKT lounge, and everyone walked around to read about each project. All the projects were amazing! Because of this, it was very hard to only choose one project to send to the Shad Cup. In the end, my group's company, Gandalf, was chosen! I was overjoyed. We worked really hard on this project. This was better than any birthday present I could have asked for!

Next, we headed to the SUB for our banquet. We had a nice meal, as well as some great speeches and a hilarious skit by the PAs. I was also given a beautiful birthday card fashioned after the crystalline structure of a ruby (July's birthstone).

Then, we walked over to Tilly for an amusing lecture about scientific facts and why dinosaurs became extinct. Finally, we headed back to Joy Kidd to do a fun and tasty chemistry lab - making ice cream! We stood outside in the crisp summer air, shaking bags of ice, salt, milk, cream and sugar. Homemade ice cream is definitely delicious!

Now, I'm sitting here full of ice cream and birthday cake. Today was no doubt an amazing day, and I'm sure that tomorrow will be amazing (and busy) as well. It's hard to believe that this month is almost over, and I hope to make the most out of the rest of it!

Christalle Chow, Shad Valley UNB '11
Hometown: Richmond, BC