Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6 - Day 4

It was 5:40am and off went my alarm… Once again I found myself still half asleep and questioning why I chose to do these 5 km runs early in the morning. Is it because I’m an excellent runner and find it easy? Is it because I love waking up early? Or, is it because I enjoy the self-induced pain that goes with the runs? No, I’m not a great runner, I love to sleep in and I certainly don’t enjoy pain…but what drives me to do so is that Shad is the time for trying something new. For a few, they may not have ever run 5 km before, yet they were willing to try. These early morning runs are definitely part of the Shad Valley McMaster University experience for it is the strength, the perseverance and the willpower which all of us here possess that continues to drive us through these challenging runs every morning.

After breakfast, it was the time that many were waiting for; the topic for this year’s Design-Entrepreneurial Project Launch was at last revealed. The theme would be: “Breaking down barriers of Canadian children – How might we improve the life for a Canadian child with a disability?” To help introduce the theme and get things going, the morning was topped off with a lecture about individuals with various abilities and disabilities.

Today’s lunch was the “President’s Luncheon,” (our second formal meal so far) and while the president was unfortunately unable to attend, it was our pleasure to be in the company of Dr. Ilene Busch-Vishniac (the Provost & VP of Academics at McMaster), as well as some other key professors here. Like all formal meals, this was another opportunity seized to “suit up”.

In the afternoon, key events included an entertaining and enlightening lecture by Dr. Nick Brontis about information bombardment. Winning a speed-reading test at the end of the lecture, I, as well as 3 others, had received autographed copies of one of his best books – “Information Bombardment: Rising Above the Digital Onslaught”. In addition, the afternoon progressed with the chance to learn either modern dance or Latin dance (the salsa and the meringue). While some of us seamlessly flowed through the elegant and complex forms of the dances, being completely inexperienced with dance, I might have struggled quite a bit… nonetheless, this was still an interesting, new experience for me and many others.

Our evening consisted of working in our D.E. project groups. We applied aspects of the “energy colour insights” to help us start off in these groups. Furthermore, we also had time to work with our separate committee groups as well (Shad Olympics Committee for me). Finally, I ended my evening with a few games of Crokinole (my first time ever playing) and then headed off to bed.

As I currently finish up this blog, the desire to get some sleep engulfs me. I know that another day of Shad ends, but tomorrow starts a new, fresh day full of learning and rich in experience.

Alvin Qiu, Shad Valley McMaster University 2011
Hometown: Richmond Hill, ON